Jump to main content Sitemap Help with navigation and accessibility Homepage EGEAC

Galerias Municipais

The Municipal Galleries (Galerias Municipais) are made up of five spaces without a permanent collection: Pavilhão Branco, Galeria da Boavista, Torreão Nascente da Cordoaria Nacional, Galeria Quadrum and Galeria Avenida da Índia. Their mission is to enhance the artistic environment in the city and to reflect contemporary culture, giving priority to joint projects, creating opportunities for dialogue between different representatives in the sector – local, regional and international artists and curators, in different stages of their careers.

Location

Palácio dos Coruchéus
Rua Alberto de Oliveira, 52
1700-019 Lisboa

Get Directions

Opening Hours

Tuesday to Sunday
from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm

Closed on Mondays and January 1, May 1, December 24, 25 and 31

Contacts

info@galeriasmunicipais.pt
T: +351 215 830 010
www.galeriasmunicipais.pt/en

Accessibility

Please contact the Municipal Galleries for further information

About the space

Galeria Quadrum
This gallery is part of the Coruchéus complex designed by Fernando Peres Guimarães in 1971. Opening its doors to the public two years later, the Quadrum Gallery was conceived from the vision of Dulce d’Agro, one of the country’s most important gallery owners, who was responsible for managing this space up until the mid-1990s. Renowned for being an important space where the most diverse experimental approaches were promoted, especially during the period between 25th April 1974 and the early 1980s, it continues to be a space that promotes contemporary art.

Palácio dos Coruchéus
Rua Alberto de Oliveira, 52
1700-019 Lisboa
T: +351 215 830 022

Galeria Avenída da Índia
The building forms part of an urban complex in Belém, with an industrial character, dating back to the 19th century, and where the studios of visual artists such as Lagoa Henriques, Maria Helena Matos, António Cândido dos Reis and Carlos Amado, would later operate. The gallery opened to the public in 2015. Despite taking on a vocation for dialogue and questioning Portugal’s post-colonial inheritance and memory, it is a space where a multidisciplinary approach is taken, exploring a wide range of themes in the field of contemporary arts.

Av. da Índia, 170
1300 – 299 Lisboa
T: +351 211 941 466

Galeria da Boavista
Opened to the public in 2009, in a late 18th century – early 19th century building, with iron red decorations from a project in 1910, Galeria da Boavista has assumed an inclusive and multifaceted vocation. Its program – exhibitions, performances, concerts, or other activities – is shared with various cultural agents of the city.

Rua da Boavista 50
1200-066 Lisboa
T: +351 913 059 858

Pavilhão Branco
Located in the gardens of Palácio Pimenta, in Campo Grande, Pavilhão Branco was designed by Italian architect Daniela Ermano, and was built in 1995. With neomodern lines and mostly glass facades, the space allows for strong contact with its outdoor surroundings (animals and plants in the gardens), giving the visitor the feeling that they are both in and outside the space at the same time.

Ever since its opening, it has played a key role in the city’s strategy to promote and disseminate contemporary art.

Palácio Pimenta
Campo Grande, 245
1700 – 091 Lisboa
T: +351 215 891 259

Torreão Nascente da Cordoaria Nacional
Installed in the Cordoaria Nacional (a former naval rope-making factory), this art gallery is a space where exhibitions and retrospectives of Portuguese artists are held, in addition to some international collaborations.

The building dates back to the 1770s when the Prime Minister at the time, Marquês de Pombal (Marquis of Pombal), decreed that the Royal Ropework Factory would be built on the land next to the São João da Junqueira Fortress. It has been denominated as a national monument since 1996.

Avenida da Índia
1300 – 299 Lisboa
T: +351 213 646 128