Designed by architect Cottinelli Telmo and sculptor Leopoldo de Almeida, this monument stands over 50m tall, on the shore of the Tagus river. First erected in 1940, as part of the Portuguese World Exhibition, one of the greatest exhibitions to be organized in Portugal until then, it currently presents a regular programme of temporary exhibitions, encouraging the discussion about the colonial themes it evokes.
1400 – 038 Lisboa
October to February, from 10am to 6pm
March to September, from 10am to 7pm
Last admision: 30 minutes before closing
Closed on 1st January, 1st May, 24th, 25th and 31th December
T: +351 213 031 950
For further information, please contact the monument.
About the space
Originally built out of perishable materials, it was rebuilt in 1960, to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the death of Dom Henrique (Henry the Navigator), the great driver of the Discoveries. Taking the shape of a stylized caravel about to take to the water, Henrique stands at its prow, followed by some key figures in ultramarine exploits and Culture at the time, depicted with symbols that clearly identify them, namely, navigators, cartographers, soldiers, colonizers, evangelists, chroniclers and artists.
In the paved area that gives access to the monument, a Compass Rose (Rosa dos Ventos) stands out immediately. It was inaugurated on August 5, 1960, designed in architect Luís Cristino da Silva’s studio, and offered by the Republic of South Africa, which joined the celebrations in tribute to Henry the Navigator.
In addition to its exhibition rooms, the Monument also has an auditorium and a viewpoint.