Designed by architect Luís Cristino da Silva and seating almost 1400 spectators, the Capitólio played an important role in the city's cultural activity, originally operating from 1931 until the 1980s. It was known for its revue theatre, as well as comedy, jazz, fado, operetta and cinema performances by renowned artists. Long closed to the public, the venue underwent extensive renovation work, carried out under architect Alberto de Souza Oliveira. It reopened in October 2016 and was awarded the Valmor Prize. It forms part of the Parque Mayer complex, one of the centres of bohemian life in the city between the 1920s and the 1970s.