Jump to main content Sitemap Help with navigation and accessibility Homepage EGEAC

Museu da Marioneta

The first museum in the country dedicated entirely to the world of puppets, has the mission to collect, maintain, conserve, research, exhibit and promote the puppet theatre and its history.

Location

Convento das Bernardas
Rua da Esperança, 146
1200-660 Lisboa

Get Directions

Opening Hours

Tuesday to Sunday, from 10am to 6pm Last entrance: 5:30 pm

Closed on Mondays and January 1, May 1, December 25

Contacts

museu@museudamarioneta.pt
T: +351 213 942 810
www.museudamarioneta.pt/en

Accessibility

More information

About the space

Based on the collection of the Companhia de Marionetas de São Lourenço, with a special emphasis on Portuguese puppets, the exhibition space takes visitors on a journey through the history of this art form all over the world, displaying different kinds of puppets and manipulation techniques: glove puppets, marionettes, shadow puppets and masks, to name a few. Its collection is made up of pieces that come from different parts of the world and, since 2008, it also displays the collection of African and Asian puppets which belonged to collector Francisco Capelo.

In addition to the permanent exhibition, the museum also promotes puppet theatre shows and other performances, guided tours and several learning activities.

The museum is located within the Convento das Bernardas, a building that dates back to the 17th century which, in addition to its original function, also took on different functions over the course of its history: a school, polytechnic secondary school, movie theatre and performance hall, the headquarters of a Philharmonic Orchestra, carpentry workshop, and is still home to some residential spaces. The Convent was acquired, recovered and restored by Lisbon City Council in 1998, and the Museum was installed into the rooms next to the cloisters and the old chapel.